Handling Conflicts When Should the Board Intervene?

Condo, co-op and HOA communities are made up of people – and people aren’t perfect. Within a community association, squabbles are inevitably going to break out between unit owners. Oftentimes these problems will be resolved relatively easily, and the owners will reach some sort of reasonable consensus with no lasting animosity or tension between them. Other times, however, the fights will escalate, roping in other owners – and potentially the board.

There are clearly liability issues at play when a board is forced to make a decision in favor of one unit owner or another, and it goes without saying that any conflict that gets physical is a matter for the local authorities. But some conflicts fall into a gray area, and can present a challenge for a board that wishes to do the right thing, yet fears escalating the tension or doing something that infringes on an owner’s rights. It can be a tough needle to thread, but there’s help available.

See Something, Say Something

Starting with the most serious type of conflict first: if residents get into a physical altercation at an association property, the police should be called.

“Breach of the peace is first and foremost a criminal matter to be handled by police,” advises Mark R. Rosenbaum, a principal at the law firm of Fischel Kahn in Chicago. “One of the parties, or an onlooker should make that call. Even if the participants don’t strike each other, but are screaming at one another, that can also warrant calling the police. If the police are called, there could be a number of outcomes: they may just talk to the participants – or only one of the participants. Someone may or may not get arrested. There should still be a police report made by the officers. But anyone other than the parties involved may have trouble getting a copy of that report.”

Philip Brigmond, District Manager of Resource Property Management in Seminole, Florida, adds that “the goal of the board should be to make sure that all residents know they are not the law, nor is it on them to enforce the law, or the rights inherently provided thereby. Anytime we receive a call from an owner with a complaint, we advise them to call the authorities – i.e., the police. It’s very simple. Civil matters are enforced by civil servants. Board matters are enforced by board servants – volunteers. Obviously, someone threatening to cause bodily harm or personal property damage to another is not board business. Someone blocking another’s parking space, on the other hand, would be enforceable at board level, unless it escalates to property damage.”


Related Articles

Harassment Issues

How Far Is Too Far?

Board Optics

The Perception of Performance

Q&A: Getting Access to a Contract

Q&A: Getting Access to a Contract

Managing Board Conflict

How to Maintain Harmony

Handling Conflict Between Neighbors

How to Manage Amicably

Alternative Dispute Resolution

What to Do When They Sue – Part II



  • I have an ongoing dispute with my Association. I want to install a nat gas generator and which requires running a gas line along the outside of my building, which is considered common property. The layout I proposed is similar to another unit within the complex who has a gas line mounted in a similar fashion on the outside wall. I have since been denied my application and the Board and management said they were not aware of my neighbor's gas line, despite it having been installed over 12 years ago. My neighbor bought his unit only 3 years ago and the line was already installed and he has documents showing the building officials permitted and inspected the line back 12 years ago. The Board is saying they have no record of approving it, and the same Board and management company have been in place over the same time when the line was installed. Do I have a case against my Association? The President says my neighbor's pipe is causing damage to the wall; however, there have been several inspections of the whole property done by engineering firms and other vendors since my neighbor's pipe was installed, so how could the Board say they were not aware? There is not one crack in the wall. Help!
  • Hi , as a condo owner I do have a right for the master deed.And the condo association changes the rules since we have owned our place.Dont they keep the same rules and guidelines.Also I pay condo fees for water and sewer.Do they have a right to split up my water under my place and leave me without a main line valve.I had to have a plumber go under the condo because I had a leaky pipe and he could not turn it off.Lucky we turn on the kitchen faucet and the bathroom pressure slowed down.thx u
  • I would like to know who responds to any questions Condo owners may have? We are currently having some major issues.
  • I own a condo in Sussex County. My HOA entitiy has been revoked for years. Is it legal for them to continue to operate? They are making amendments to by-laws without consulting the unit owners. My question is can they do this??
  • I am a unit owner in a Cooperative in New Jersey. The board meetings are not open to the residents. The process is this: I have to write to the property manager to tell them that I want to meet with the board and what I want to discuss with the board. If the property manager agrees I will be given a 5 minute time slot at the next monthly board meeting that has time slots available. No other residents/owners are allowed to be present. Since the board only allows 6 time slots per meeting, it could be a month or more before the actual meeting takes place. I feel I have little opportunity to interact with the Board and have taken to sending my questions to the President's home address. I do this infrequently and only when I want to be sure the Board is aware of a situation that could put the HOA at risk. I don't feel comfortable that the property manager makes the board aware of many issues. Does anyone have a suggestion to handle this in a different manner? Thank you.
  • I serve on the board of a 24 unit townhouse development in Monmouth County. We were organized by the developer under NJSA 46:8B- 1-30. Now the new Radburn laws are effective as of May 18, 2020. Do these apply to / update our Association's by laws and if so, so we need to have the bylaws changed by our attorney - particularly in regard to board elections, passing new by laws, etc. ? Thank you.